There Is a Problem With the Condition of My Apartment

There Is a Problem With the Condition of My Apartment

Last updated: July 2009

Is My Landlord Required To Make Repairs?

Your landlord must provide you with a safe and livable apartment. That means:

  • Making necessary repairs to the plumbing, heating, and electrical systems.
  • The landlord should maintain walls, windows, and roofs and make sure they are in good condition.
  • Your landlord must also follow the state of Illinois building codes.

What Is the First Step When I Need To Have Repairs Made?

Tell your landlord right away that you have a problem:

  • Make sure you tell the landlord in person and by sending a letter. Keep a copy of the letter for yourself.
  • The repair should be made within 14 days after you request the repair. If the landlord agrees to repair the problem, ask when the repair will be made. 
  • Keep track of each time that you have asked your landlord to fix the problem.
  • Take pictures of the apartment to show what needs to be fixed.

What Do I Do If My Landlord Does Not Make the Repairs?

If you think that the problem is serious enough, contact the state building inspector.

  • It may take up to three weeks for the building inspector to come and check the problem.
  • If there is an emergency, tell the building inspector that it is an emergency and they will respond sooner. For example, if you have no heat. They should respond within 24 hours.
  • After the building inspector comes to your apartment, ask for a copy of the report to use against the landlord in a small claims suit.

Can My Landlord Evict Me For Making a Report To the State Building Inspector?

No.  It is against the law for your landlord to evict you for seeking repairs of problems that violate the building code. If your landlord tries to evict you within a year of your complaint, you will have a defense against the eviction. If you get court papers for an eviction case, you should contact a lawyer immediately.

Can I Still Have The Repairs Done After I Have the Building Inspector’s Report?

For tenants living in most types of apartment buildings, you can have a professional contractor repair violations of the local building code, and take out the cost from your rent. This is called “repair and deduct.”

To repair and deduct you must do the following:

  • Send your landlord a written notice stating that you intend to correct the conditions at the landlord’s expense.
  • Send this notice by certified mail with return receipt.
  • Wait 14 day for your landlord to send someone to perform the repairs.
  • If your landlord does not respond, you may have a professional perform the work.
  • Keep a copy of the paid bill for your records.
  • Submit a copy of the paid bill to your landlord. You may then take out the cost of the repair from your next month’s rent. The reasonable cost of the repair must not exceed $500 or half of your rent, whichever is less. For example, if your rent is over $1,000, you can only spend $500 on the repairs.

You do not have the right to use “repair and deduct” if you live in one of the following types of buildings:

  • Owner Occupied Rental Properties Containing 6 or Fewer Units
  • Public Housing
  • Condos
  • Co-op Housing
  • Commercial Buildings
  • Mobile Homes located in a Mobile Home Park

Helpful Organizations
The following organizations may be able to help you with

For a list of organizations in your area that may be able to help you, enter your zip code.



We welcome your comments and suggestions

User Survey - Please take a moment to fill out our User Survey to help us to provide better service.

Please do not email legal questions or information about your problem. We will not answer legal questions or provide legal assistance. You can find referrals to legal organizations that may be able to help you by clicking here.