OrganizationLawyers' Committee for Better Housing
The Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing (LCBH) provides free legal assistance to low-income and working class renters facing eviction and other serious housing issues.
- Interview clients
- Conduct legal research and draft pleadings/legal memoranda
- Represent tenants in court and out-of-court negotiation (if 711-eligible) – motion practice, discovery, trial preparation, etc.
- Participate in policy initiatives and community outreach efforts
- We will accept applications from law students/grads who have funding.
- We will accept applications from work study law students.
- We will accept applications from law students seeking academic credit or participating in an externship through their law school.
- We will accept applications from law students/grads who do not have funding.
About the organization
Lawyers' Committee for Better Housing (LCBH) provides FREE legal assistance to renters to help resolve serious housing issues. LCBH staff can protect your rights and will work with you to reach the best solution for your situation in terms that you understand and meet with your approval. LCBH also offers assistance to renters living in foreclosed buildings through the Tenants in Foreclosure Help Line (312) 784-3507.
LCBH helps low and moderate income renters in Chicago, including Housing Choice Voucher holders. LCBH accepts clients on a case-by-case basis depending on need and situation. To qualify for services ALL renters must go through the LCBH intake process. Eviction cases often move very quickly, so contact our office as soon as possible to allow enough time for us determine if and how we can help.