- Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services
Metropolitan Family Services empowers families to learn, to earn, to heal, to thrive. Part mentor, part motivator, part advocate, since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services has been the engine of change that empowers families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities. Metropolitan is Illinois’ first comprehensive human services agency and reaches more than 72,000 individuals and families in Chicago, Evanston/Skokie, the southwest suburbs and DuPage County with services promoting education, economic stability, emotional wellness and empowerment.
We are now hiring for a full-time Attorney I to join our Safe Families Program Team!
The Attorney I will represent complaining witnesses who have children with their abuser on requests for orders of protection in conjunction with criminal cases.
Essential Job Functions:
- Represents complaining witnesses who have children in common with their abuser in seeking orders of protection in conjunction with criminal cases heard at the courthouse located at 555 W. Harrison, Chicago.
- Works with the State’s Attorney’s Office (SAO), the clerk’s office, and the court to ensure efficient litigation and order processing.
- Inputs data and notes regarding work done and outcomes achieved in a timely manner.
- Participates in public relations and/or community education efforts as needed.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ HSA contributions.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 11 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan with E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
- Juris Doctor AND active member of the Illinois Bar OR admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois required.
- Attorneys who primarily serve victims of domestic violence must, upon hire, enroll for training and receive a 40-Hour Domestic Violence Certification within 12 weeks of employment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to aiding victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and family abuse.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent oral/written communication and research skills, and computer competency required.
- Courtroom, trial advocacy and negotiation skills required.
- Ability to respond to large numbers of clients in a professional and empathetic manner.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups.
About the organization
The Legal Aid Society (LAS) is the legal advocacy arm of Metropolitan Family Services. Each year LAS provides legal services to more than 8,000 low-income families in the Chicagoland area, addressing domestic violence, elder abuse, human trafficking, housing, and consumer issues.