For more than 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
Position: LAF has received a continuation grant to increase legal services for victims of domestic and sexual violence, human trafficking, elder abuse, and financial exploitation throughout Chicago and suburban Cook County. LAF seeks a paraprofessional to serve as the primary point of contact for clients beginning with intake and continuing with coordination of legal and other services as needed. The expected start date for this position is July 1, 2018.
- Conduct intake and comprehensive legal screening on site at partner organizations and by phone
- Connect clients with in-house attorneys with expertise in identified legal issues
- Coordinate legal services for clients with multiple issues, provide support to clients
- Coordinate with referral partners to ensure clients have access to victim advocates and related services
- Help clients apply for crime victims compensation, including gathering supporting documentation from law enforcement, medical providers, and other proof of reimbursable expenses
- Provide information and referrals to other needed services
- Participate in outreach efforts
- Attend trainings and maintain up-to-date knowledge on relevant issues
- Assist in-house attorneys with litigation support and translation
Qualifications: Applicants must have a college degree, computer proficiency, and oral and written Spanish is preferred. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to suburban courts and community partner locations throughout Cook County. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest or experience working with domestic violence victims or other victims of crime. Flexibility and ability to work occasional evenings and weekends are essential.
Salary: Depends on experience. Generous fringe benefits.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, copy of college transcript, and contact information for two professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Client Advocate” in the email subject line. The position will remain open until filled. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
LAF values Diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.
About the organization
LAF (formerly the Legal Assistance Foundation) provides free civil legal services to individuals and families in Chicago and suburban Cook County who are unable to afford an attorney. Households with limited assets and income at or below 150% of the federal poverty line may qualify for free legal help.
We have higher income limits for homeowners at risk of foreclosure, seniors, veterans, people living with HIV-AIDS, and domestic violence survivors seeking protection from an abuser.