- Illinois Legal Aid Online
The Development Associate VISTA will help Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO) build its capacity to engage, solicit, and steward donors in order to raise the necessary funds to support the organization’s work. ILAO’s services educate people about their legal rights and responsibilities, and provide tools to act on those rights when a lawyer is out of reach. This VISTA position is critical for ILAO to help secure adequate funding to meet the growing demand for its 24/7/365, free, online legal services. Through its services, ILAO simplifies the law so that all people can resolve their legal problems, especially those who are unable to find or afford a lawyer.
Year of Service: Primary Responsibilities
- Learn how ILAO impacts the lives of the people it serves through analyzing user feedback, surveys, and other quantitative and qualitative data
- Help plan and initiate new efforts to research and learn more about current and prospective individual donors
- Conduct ongoing research to identify new foundation prospects for ILAO’s work
- Based on research, help plan and initiate strategies to update current and prospective donors about ILAO’s impact via channels such as social media, email marketing and more
- Help write and edit proposals, reports and other grant and donor related documents
- Help update and maintain ILAO's constituent relationship management database with accurate donor and prospect information
- Help plan and execute fundraising events
- Work with ILAO’s Young Professionals Board to provide support and increase member engagement
- Help review and continually improve development processes, systems and knowledge management guides
- Collaborate with ILAO staff to develop and execute coordinated communications and marketing strategies
- Evaluate the success of the program and suggest ways to expand and improve the program
- Fulfill AmeriCorps VISTA requirements for training and service (see http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista/what-vista-members-do)
- Assist in developing and maintaining fundraising materials
- Provide necessary reports, data, and documentation to funding entities
- Participate in staff meetings and other administrative meetings
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Demonstrated experience in conducting research and using data to make decisions
- Demonstrated experience in writing persuasively and writing for different audiences
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in using the Internet, Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps for Office; experience with Salesforce or other constituent relationship management systems a plus
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet all deadlines
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Works well on a team and willing to pitch in however needed to accomplish the goals of the organization
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and interest in Illinois Legal Aid Online’s mission and goals
This is an Americorps VISTA position. VISTAs are volunteers but receive the following benefits: a living allowance ($1,084/mo.), choice of Education Award ($5,815) or End of Service Stipend ($1,500) and Non-Competitive Eligibility status upon successful completion of service, housing supplement ($200/mo., payable directly to landlord), transit pass ($105/mo., payable directly to transit authority), healthcare allowance, life insurance, relocation payment if eligible ($550), and professional development opportunities.
About the organization
Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO) puts the law within reach for all, regardless of income or location. As the statewide legal services technology center, ILAO streamlines the delivery of free and pro bono legal services to lower-income Illinois residents, and delivers easy-to-understand legal information and help to those who can't afford a lawyer.
ILAO's mission is: to increase access to justice for lower-income and vulnerable Illinois residents through the innovative use of technology to assist and educate the public and to train and support legal aid providers and pro bono attorneys.
Illinois Legal Aid Online's programs provide essential legal services and support 24/7 to legal aid and pro bono attorneys, pro se litigants and lower-income individuals and families through its website.