- Illinois Legal Aid Online
Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO), located in downtown Chicago, is seeking a new Executive Director. The Executive Director is responsible for being the visionary of ILAO: advancing its mission with constituents, donors, and partners; promoting ILAO through public speaking, the media, donor relations, and strategic planning; and working with the internal team, Board of Directors and external stakeholders to ensure that ILAO continues to thrive operationally and strategically.
What is ILAO?
ILAO was one of the first organizations in the country to deliver comprehensive legal resources online so that individuals who cannot afford a lawyer can solve their own problems. ILAO’s vision is to ensure that all people can live safe, secure and equal lives in a just society. We accomplish this vision by embracing technology to provide accessible resources and simplified processes, enabling anyone with a computer or cell phone to use legal avenues to identify, understand and ultimately solve their problems.
ILAO is extremely proud of its history, technology, and exceptional content. It is not afraid to take calculated risks and try new approaches, to find innovative ways to reach and help as many people as possible. In its next phase – and as legal technology continues to advance – ILAO seeks to “scale up” and become more sophisticated in its use of data to better demonstrate its tangible impact on people’s lives, which will drive its commitment to innovation and quality.
ILAO must continue to build awareness and visibility, such that every person who can benefit from our services knows that we exist. Our hope is that this creates a virtuous cycle that leads to a diversified funding engine that fuels our ambition. ILAO has an extremely engaged team, Board of Directors and group of external stakeholders comprised of accomplished professionals with diverse backgrounds and one common mission (which the new Executive Director will share): To provide easily accessible resources and simplify processes so people can resolve their problems using the law.
Executive Director Core Responsibilities
Reporting to ILAO’s Board of Directors, the Executive Director must embrace a culture of integrity, ethics and compliance while providing strategic and administrative leadership. This includes overseeing all aspects of the organization, such as:
- Strategic planning and vision setting
- External communications and engagement
- Fund development
- Team management
- Board of Directors engagement
- Financial management
- Program services and administration
- Development of external strategic partnerships designed to elevate ILAO’s platform, services, and visibility, while advancing its mission and expanding its overall reach
The Executive Director works closely with the Board of Directors to ensure the effective implementation of ILAO’s vision and mission and oversees an exemplary, highly ethical, and committed team currently generating world class content and delivery solutions using technology.
The ideal Executive Director candidate will have:
- A deep drive and commitment to the vision, mission and goals of ILAO.
- 5+ years of senior level management experience with a demonstrated ability to manage and motivate team members and stakeholders while remaining flexible and able to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Demonstrated fundraising results with excellent networking/relationship-building skills.
- Thorough understanding of technology and the methods/models for delivering legal services.
- Experience scaling a business, or analogous proven results.
- A strong record of success formulating and implementing creative initiatives based on visionary thinking.
- Intelligence with a pragmatic, energetic, self-motivated, “roll up your sleeves” attitude.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- Experience using social media and other means to engage relevant audiences and build a significant following.
- A proven track record for creating and promoting thought leadership content on topics relevant to ILAO.
- An aptitude for translating legal jargon and complex terminology into easy-to-understand sound bites, blog posts, and press releases.
- Prior legal services or other non-profit experience preferred.
- Juris Doctor (JD) or other advanced degree preferred.
Local candidates are preferred but relocating candidates may be considered.
Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with experience.
Submit a resume with a letter describing your interest and relevant skills to EDCandidates@illinoislegalaid.org.
About the organization
Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO) puts the law within reach for all, regardless of income or location. As the statewide legal services technology center, ILAO streamlines the delivery of free and pro bono legal services to lower-income Illinois residents, and delivers easy-to-understand legal information and help to those who can't afford a lawyer.
ILAO's mission is: to increase access to justice for lower-income and vulnerable Illinois residents through the innovative use of technology to assist and educate the public and to train and support legal aid providers and pro bono attorneys.
Illinois Legal Aid Online's programs provide essential legal services and support 24/7 to legal aid and pro bono attorneys, pro se litigants and lower-income individuals and families through its website.