- Domestic Violence Legal Clinic
- Provide high quality representation for survivors of domestic violence seeking remedies in Domestic Relations Division
- Manage a caseload of ongoing Domestic Relations cases, including effective representation of clients in contested hearings
- Deliver services according to principles of trauma-informed care
- Maintain client files, noting all deadlines, communications and other relevant information
- Perform intake functions, interviewing potential clients to evaluate case for representation
- During initial interview, provide advice and brief services as appropriate
- Coordinate with agency’s Client Support Coordinator and other colleagues to ensure that client receives seamless, holistic services
- Supervise volunteers including attorneys, students and interns
- Participate in agency staff meetings and other required events
- Other duties as assigned
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois
- Three - eight years of experience litigating domestic relations cases
- Highly proficient in Spanish, including ability to interview and represent clients with limited or no-English speaking abilities
- Must have completed or be willing to complete 40 hour Domestic Violence training
- Familiarity with principles of trauma-informed care and willingness to complete additional training
- Ability to develop and implement short and long-term litigation strategies
- Strong self-motivation and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Knowledge of or experience working with survivors of gender-based or intimate partner violence
About the organization
Domestic Violence Legal Clinic serves survivors of domestic violence who need legal assistance.
We use our location at the Cook County Domestic Violence Courthouse (555 W. Harrison, Chicago) to provide same-day services for people who need Orders of Protection. Our intake hours are Monday - Friday, from 8:30-1:30 (or until we reach capacity).
To apply for our Order of Protection services, come to our office during our intake hours to complete an intake. We suggest arriving as close to 8:30 as possible. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to represent you. DVLC also provides comprehensive family law services and representation for undocumented domestic violence survivors seeking relief under VAWA or through a U-VISA.
To apply for family law or immigration assistance, please call our office at 312-325-9155.