For more than 50 years LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including public benefits issues, domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Our work impacts over 30,000 people each year.
LAF seeks a full-time attorney to serve as a Supervisor in our Immigrants and Workers’ Rights (IWR) Practice Group. The Practice Group provides individual legal representation and engages in broad-based advocacy in the areas of immigration, migrant, anti-human trafficking, and employment law. IWR is the only practice group at LAF that represents clients statewide.
Responsibilities include without limitation
- Supervise the legal work of staff attorneys, law students (both in-house and remotely), volunteers, and others, primarily in our Migrant Project which represents farmworker clients with employment law related matters, including unemployment, wage theft, discrimination, housing, labor based U-visas, and labor trafficking
- Co-counsel cases as part of staff development and be responsible for training staff and overseeing their professional development
- Maintain a caseload of individual cases
- Engage in advocacy designed to have a lasting, measureable effect on our client community
- Engage in community outreach throughout Illinois and sit on state-wide committees addressing issues affecting farmworkers
- Manage grants within IWR including reporting on the outcomes and meeting the requirements of funders
- Assist in grant management in any area of the agency deemed to affect IWR
- Work closely with other supervisors in IWR to meet the supervisory needs of the group
Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois, and have at least five years of legal services or general civil practice experience, including considerable experience in issues affecting migrant and seasonal farmworkers. Applicants must have excellent communication skills; be highly organized; work well under pressure; and be committed to working as part of a team.
She/he will have a driver’s license, a good driving record, and be willing to travel frequently throughout Illinois. Fluency in Spanish is required.
Send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for two professional references to email@example.com. Please type “Supervisor Migrant Project: IWR Practice Group” in the email subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
LAF values Diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.