- Prairie State Legal Services, Inc.
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. (PSLS) is a non-profit legal services organization with 40 years of experience providing quality legal services to low-income persons, currently with 12 field offices in 36 counties in northern and central Illinois. Our expertise extends to family law, public benefits, consumer law, health, and education, among other areas. In housing matters, we specialize in fair housing/housing discrimination, foreclosure defense, landlord/tenant disputes, and federally-subsidized housing rights. We have maintained multi-year special projects, with diverse funding to provide legal advocacy services to persons with HIV/AIDS, disabled children and adults, the elderly, the homeless, victims of domestic violence, and many others. Annually, PSLS handles over 22,000 applications for legal help and serves over 16,000 clients.
We pride ourselves on fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative, and fun, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth. PSLS believes in providing the highest quality of legal representation to its clients.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Full-time position, 37.5 hours per week. Competitive salary with other legal non-profits, depending on experience; excellent benefits.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Among other duties as assigned, the Staff Attorney will:
- Interview applicants for legal services and assess their legal issues with a focus on assisting older adults and low-income individuals with public benefits issues such as loss or denial of medical or nursing home care, and loss or denial of medical benefits (Medicaid, Medicare);
- Provide legal services including legal research and factual investigation, counsel and advice, brief services and document preparation, dispute resolution, and representation of clients in administrative and judicial proceedings;
- Develop and maintain networking relationships with local bar associations and with local, state, and federal governments and community agencies that serve our client population, in particular those who serve older adults;
- Provide accurate and complete information for grant reporting to grant funders including documenting services in the case record;
- Actively participate in a staff committee or task force related to one or more areas of our practice; and,
- Exhibit a high level of personal energy, organization, and commitment to the position and the PSLS mission.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an ABA-accredited law school and admitted to practice law in Illinois, or admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois. We will consider recent law school graduates conditioned upon successful completion of the bar examination by August 2018, but experience is preferred.
This position requires strong interpersonal skills as well as excellent oral and written communication skills. Candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to serving disadvantaged populations. We will give preference to candidates who have knowledge of poverty law and experience providing services to poor people and who have negotiation and litigation skills.
The applicant should have demonstrated organizational and case management skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member. Local travel is required, with a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. We will consider with favor candidates who are Spanish-English bilingual.
About the organization
Prairie State Legal Services offers free legal services for low income persons and those over 60 who have serious civil legal problems like domestic abuse, eviction, foreclosure and public benefits and need legal help to solve them.
We have 11 offices covering 36 counties in northern and central Illinois. Our Administrative Office is located in Rockford, IL.The mission of Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is to ensure equal access to justice and fair treatment under the law by providing legal advice and representation, advocacy, education, and outreach that serve to protect basic human needs and enforce or uphold rights.