- Domestic Violence Legal Clinic
The Domestic Violence Legal Clinic (DVLC) has two (2) Order of Protection Staff Attorney positions available. The Order of Protection Staff Attorneys perform the following essential duties:
- With supervisor and colleagues, share management of the operations of the Order of Protection Clinic
- Supervise volunteers including attorneys, students and interns as they provide brief legal services in fast-paced, walk-in legal clinic
- Provide same-day in court representation for survivors of domestic violence obtaining emergency Orders of Protection
- Manage a caseload of ongoing Order of Protection cases, including effective representation of clients in contested hearings
- Maintain client files, noting all deadlines, communications and other relevant information
- Participate in agency staff meetings and other required events
- Other duties as assigned
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois
- Must have completed or be willing to complete 40-hour Domestic Violence training
- Litigation and family law experience preferred
- Ability to develop and implement short and long-term litigation strategies
- Strong self-motivation and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Spanish language proficiency, including ability to interview and represent clients with limited or no-English speaking abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations
- Knowledge of or experience with working with survivors of gender-based or intimate partner violence
- Ability to work in fast-paced legal environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with people in crisis
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Flexible, self-motivated
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Sense of humor
About the organization
Domestic Violence Legal Clinic serves survivors of domestic violence who need legal assistance.
We use our location at the Cook County Domestic Violence Courthouse (555 W. Harrison, Chicago) to provide same-day services for people who need Orders of Protection. Our intake hours are Monday - Friday, from 8:30-1:30 (or until we reach capacity).
To apply for our Order of Protection services, come to our office during our intake hours to complete an intake. We suggest arriving as close to 8:30 as possible. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to represent you. DVLC also provides comprehensive family law services and representation for undocumented domestic violence survivors seeking relief under VAWA or through a U-VISA.
To apply for family law or immigration assistance, please call our office at 312-325-9155.