- Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services
Metropolitan Family Services empowers families to learn, to earn, to heal, to thrive. Part mentor, part motivator, part advocate, since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services has been the engine of change that empowers families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities. Metropolitan is Illinois’ first comprehensive human services agency and reaches more than 72,000 individuals and families in Chicago, Evanston/Skokie, the southwest suburbs and DuPage County with services promoting education, economic stability, emotional wellness and empowerment.
We are now hiring for a full-time Paralegal to join our Safe Families Program Team!
Essential Job Functions:
- Drafts petitions for order of protection for complaining witnesses who have children in common with their abuser, in conjunction with criminal cases heard at the courthouse located at 555 W. Harrison, Chicago.
- Works to ensure that all complaining witnesses with children in common with their abuser have an opportunity to see an order of protection in conjunction with the criminal case.
- Assists Attorneys in litigation the order of protection, including sending subpoenas for employment information;
- Works with the State’s Attorney’s Office (SAO), the clerk’s office, and the court to ensure efficient litigation and order processing.
- Inputs data and notes regarding work done and outcomes achieved in a timely manner.
- Participates in public relations and/or community education efforts as needed.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ HSA contributions.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 11 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan with E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university required
- OR ABA accredited paralegal certificate.
- OR comparable experience demonstrating working knowledge of legal systems and concepts.
- Minimum of 1-2 years relevant experience required, ideally experience aiding victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and family abuse.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Excellent writing, record-keeping, organizational, and communications skills.
- Paralegals who primarily serve victims of domestic violence must, upon hire, enroll for training and receive a 40-Hour Domestic Violence Certification within 12 weeks of employment.
- A high level of overall performance demonstrating long‑term commitment to and broad understanding of quality legal aid work as well as ability to assume leadership responsibilities.
- Ability to master the operation of available computer hardware and software in assigned area.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups.
About the organization
The Legal Aid Society (LAS) is the legal advocacy arm of Metropolitan Family Services. Each year LAS provides legal services to more than 8,000 low-income families in the Chicagoland area, addressing domestic violence, elder abuse, human trafficking, housing, and consumer issues.