- Cabrini Green Legal Aid
DEPARTMENT: PRO BONO PROGRAMS
CLASSIFICATION: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT
REPORTS TO: MANAGING ATTORNEY OF PRO BONO PROJECTS
Salary Range: $36,000 to $40,000
The Senior Paralegal works directly with attorneys and recruits, trains, schedules and oversees staff paralegals, volunteer paralegals and administrative volunteers to assist CGLA’s legal teams in providing high quality legal services to CGLA clients and the communities CGLA serves. The Senior Paralegal researches court records, drafts pleadings, prepares client correspondence, communicates with clients and the public, manages documents and files, and enters forms data into Legal Server, CGLA’s case management system. Reporting to the Managing Attorney of Pro Bono Projects, this position also works on special projects and coordinates the work of volunteer pre-law students, law students, paralegal interns, and other administrative volunteers as required to fulfill the needs of the organization.
- Work with supervisors and members of the legal teams to identify and prioritize their administrative needs;
- Recruit, train, schedule and supervise a team comprised of paralegal staff and administrative and paralegal volunteers in performing various duties to fulfill the administrative needs of the legal teams;
- Maintain documentation of all administrative and paralegal functions for use in training new staff and volunteers;
- Assist attorneys in responding to client referrals from community partners, including criminal records research, screening referred clients to determine eligibility for relief, conducting intakes, scheduling appointments, and following up with clients;
- Assist with case management, including drafting legal pleadings, preparing client correspondence, maintaining files and providing assistance at court hearings;
- Conduct eligibility screening and substantive interviews for applicants with legal issues by telephone and in person, including at offsite locations;
- Communicate with CGLA partner agencies regarding collaborative services and client referrals;
- Assist in organizing and administering pro bono legal clinics.
Manage Files and Cases
- Maintain and organize accurate and complete client files and administrative records, ensuring timely data entry into CGLA’s case management database for data tracking and reporting;
- Obtain documents from courts and law enforcement agencies, and perform other fact-gathering activities;
- Create and run reports in Legal Server to ensure the quality of data entry functions and provide case data to program supervisors relevant to their programs.
- Create, maintain and update Excel spreadsheets and documents utilizing Mail Merge and similar software applications to generate petitions, pleadings and other court documents;
- Prepare outreach materials and participate in outreach events at community-based organizations;
- Upon request, provide front desk coverage, including answering the telephone, greeting visitors, providing information and making appropriate referrals to other legal aid and social services organizations.
- Associate Degree in Paralegal Studies or Paralegal Certificate is required; Bachelor’s Degree in Paralegal Studies is preferred.
- At least 4 years work experience as paralegal, legal assistant, office manager or similar work experience;
- Minimum of 2 years managerial or supervisory experience.
- Experience working with legal case management software and legal research tools such as Lexis and Westlaw
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office products, particularly Word and Excel;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Ability to multitask and work in a busy, fast-paced practice;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions;
- Experience and ability to work with a diverse client population, including low-income clients;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a dynamic team;
- The ability to work collaboratively with staff, interns and volunteers;
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and produce quality results;
- Exemplary organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
- Supervise staff and volunteer paralegals.
- Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, 40 hours per week
- Occasional non-traditional hours on weekends and evenings
- Work is performed in a typical office environment. May require some weekend and evening work.
- Driver’s license and access to a car preferred.
Commensurate with skills and experience.
We offer a generous benefits plan that includes health, vision, dental and life insurance, dependent care and flexible spending account, and 403(b) retirement account. In addition, CGLA offers generous paid time off, Floating Holidays and 14 paid holidays per year. During the summer months we celebrate Summer Fridays by closing the office early.
About the organization
Cabrini Green Legal Aid (CGLA) has strengthened lives, assisted families and supported communities – one person at a time for over 40 years. CGLA does more than give people a second chance – they are addressing the root causes of unemployment, homelessness, poverty and other challenges that contribute to crime and recidivism. This is accomplished by combining high-quality legal services with supportive services coordinated through strategic partnerships with social service providers, government agencies, and other legal aid organizations. Legal representation focuses on those negatively impacted by the criminal justice system through criminal defense work, criminal records work and civil cases that arise from criminal justice system involvement.
Who We Serve
We serve residents of the City of Chicago in civil and criminal defense cases and residents of Cook County in criminal records cases.