For more than 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
Position: LAF is hiring a staff attorney for its Public Benefits Practice Group. Specifically, the Staff Attorney will advocate for eligible clients concerning benefits from the Illinois Department of Human Services, Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, Illinois Department of Aging and Social Security Administration.
Responsibilities: Each staff attorney will be responsible for:
- Representing clients in administrative proceedings with state and federal agencies, concerning public benefits such as Medicaid, SNAP, TANF and Social Security disability benefits;
- Pursuing appeals of administrative decisions and affirmative and defensive litigation in state and federal courts;
- Working with a team of other attorneys, paralegals, and volunteers;
- Maintaining deep knowledge of frequently changing laws, regulations, policies and practices concerning public benefits;
- Educating community members and service providers about benefit programs;
- Communicating complex concepts to clients who sometimes have limited education or communication barriers; and
- Building relationships with community partners.
About the organization
LAF (formerly the Legal Assistance Foundation) provides free civil legal services to individuals and families in Chicago and suburban Cook County who are unable to afford an attorney. Households with limited assets and income at or below 150% of the federal poverty line may qualify for free legal help.
We have higher income limits for homeowners at risk of foreclosure, seniors, veterans, people living with HIV-AIDS, and domestic violence survivors seeking protection from an abuser.