OrganizationNational Immigrant Justice Center
LocationCan be done anywhere
Help an immigrant survivor of domestic abuse obtain immigration status in the United States independent of their abuser. To prepare a self-petition under VAWA, a pro bono attorney will meet with the client on several occasions. The attorney will produce a comprehensive application that includes a detailed affidavit, supporting documentation, and legal argument in support of the self-petition. VAWA cases do not require litigation.
About the organization
Heartland Alliance's National Immigrant Justice Center (NIJC) is dedicated to ensuring human rights protections and access to justice for all immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers.
The National Immigrant Justice Center provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers.Our staff of attorneys and paralegals are ready to provide immigration legal help to:
- Immigrants applying for family-based permanent resident status and citizenship
- Survivors or witnesses of violence seeking U visas
- Individuals applying for Temporary Protected Status or NACARA
- Immigrant survivors of human trafficking
- Individuals facing deportation
- Asylum seekers
- LGBT and HIV-positive immigrants fleeing persecution
- Detained immigrant adults and children
- DACA and other humanitarian relief
- NIJC charges income-based fees for some consultations and services.