After a default judgment has been entered against you
Time to file a motion to vacate a default judgment
You must file the motion within 30 days from the date the judgment was entered against you. Motions made within 30 days are often granted by courts.
It is possible to file a similar motion after more than 30 days, but the court is much less likely to grant it.
Things to include in a motion to vacate judgment
You will want to include:
- The date the default judgment was entered against you
- The reason you missed the hearing at which the default judgment was entered
- The date and time of the missed hearing
- The date you learned the default judgment was entered
- The case number for which the default judgment was entered
- What department and division the motion will be filed in
- The plaintiff’s and your address and phone number
- When you will mail notice to plaintiff of your intent to file the motion