Form completion time: 20 minutes to 40 minutes
You will be able to stop and save your work in the middle of the program.
To use this program:
- You and the children must be residents of Cook County;
- You cannot be seeking guardianship of more than 3 children;
- All of the children must have the same mother;
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Neither you nor the children can be involved in an investigation by DCFS
- The children cannot be currently involved in any other court case; AND
- If you and someone else are filing to be guardians together, the other person must live at the same address as you.
To complete this program, you will need to know:
- The contact information of the child's mother, unless she is deceased; AND
- The contact information of anyone else who needs to be notified of this request (such as relatives of the child).
This program prepares the following forms. The forms you get will depend on your answers.
- Proposed Appointed Guardian Checklist
- Appearance and Consent for Letters Appointing Guardian;
- Petition for Guardian of Minor
- Order Appointing Guardian of Minor
- Affidavit for Service by Publication/Posting
- Oath and Bond of Representative - No Surety
- Exhibit A to Petition for Guardianship of Minor
- Notice of Motion
- Order Allowing Petition to Obtain Minor's Birth Certificate
- Order Allowing Petitioner to Obtain Death Certificate
- Order for Free Publication
Updated: December 2017