If an employee reports an injury to an employer, the employer should take the following steps:
- Provide the first aid and medical services needed
- Tell the insurance provider or workers' compensation administrator, even if the employer disputes the employee's claim;
- If the employee cannot work for more than 3 days because of the injury, the employer must do one of the following:
- Begin payments of Temporary Total Disability (TTD);
- Give the employee a written explanation of the additional information the employer needs before it will begin payments; or
- Give the employee a written explanation of why benefits are being denied.
Updated: June 2017