- Give a written lease termination notice;
- Wait for the period of time given on the notice to end;
- Allow the tenant to correct the lease violation (like paying the rent, fixing the damage to the apartment, removing a pet, etc.) during the notice period;
- File an eviction case against the tenant in court if the violation in the notice was not corrected;
- Have the tenant served by either the sheriff or a special process server;
- Get an order from a judge evicting the tenant from the home; and
- Ask the sheriff to carry out the judge's eviction order if the tenant has not already moved out.
It is illegal to remove a tenant outside of the court process. Learn more information on lockouts.