- The adult does not want you to be guardian;
- A relative of the adult does not want you to be guardian;
- The adult owns real estate;
- The adult owns any property worth over $10,000;
- The adult gets a pension, and the pension holder says the adult must have a guardian of the estate;
- The adult already gave someone the power to make decisions;
- You suspect physical, mental, or financial abuse; or
- The adult has an emergency that cannot wait 30 days.
If any of the above apply to your case, talk to a lawyer before starting the process so that you can prevent any unnecessary delay.