1. Fill out the forms
Fill out and sign the forms listed below. Make at least 3 copies of each form.
- Petition to Discharge Guardianship of a Minor: Complete this form to ask the court to discharge the current guardian. If you are the child's parent, you can use our program to help you fill out the petition.
If you do not have money to pay court fees, you should also fill out the below application.
- Application for Waiver of Court Fees: Asks the court to participate in the court case for free if you do not have money to pay the court filing fees.
2. Tell the other parties about your petition
- The current guardian
- Anyone who was given notice of the initial petition the first time the court appointed a guardian
- The minor, if the minor is 14 or older
You can find out who was given notice the first time around by looking at Exhibit A attached to the original Petition for Guardianship of a Minor.
3. Go to your minor guardianship court hearing
- Name, date of birth, and residence of the minor
- Names and addresses of the relatives of the minor such as the parents, adult siblings, and nearest adult family
- Name and address of the current guardian
- Your name, address, and occupation
- Reasons why you should be the new guardian
- Facts about any current juvenile, adoption, parentage, dissolution, or guardianship court cases related to the minor or the parents of the minor